Public hearing on proposed State Park changes March 29th
DEP's Florida Park Service is in the process of updating the unit management plan for Wekiwa Springs State Park, Rock Springs Run State Reserve and Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park. Citizens are invited to attend a public hearing to learn more about the proposed plans for the state parks and to provide their comments.
The public notice, agenda and draft plan are available online. Copies may also be obtained by emailing Robert.Brooks@dep.state.fl.us or calling 407-884-2006. There will be a brief presentation at 5:30 p.m. Following the presentation, staff will be available for the duration of the hearing to answer questions and accept public comment. Additionally, the public is invited to review and submit comments to the Division of Recreation and Parks at FL_StateParkPlanning@dep.state.fl.us until April 4, 2017.
WHAT: Public Hearing
WHEN: March 29, 2017, 5-7 p.m.
WHERE: Sorrento Elementary School, 24605 Wallick Road, Sorrento, FL 32776
Improvements for the updated Wekiwa Springs State Park management plan:
- Extend park entrance turn lane;
- Create a new training facility and improve parking in the group camp/training area;
- Create a 2-mile shared-use trail and two trailheads at the Neighborhood Lakes property;
- Increase parking capacity at the springhead;
- Create a biking trail up to 5 miles and a mile-long hiking trail at the Markham Woods use area;
- Construct a multi-purpose/special events pavilion at the Sand Lake use area; and
- Improve trailhead and create a mile-long nature trail at the Sand Lake use area.
Improvements for the updated Rock Springs Run State Reserve management plan:
- Construct a new park entrance road;
- Develop a shared-use trail up to 5 miles long;
- Create two primitive campsites; and
- Develop a trail hub and parking area at the Equestrian Day-Use area.
Improvements for the updated Lower Wekiva River Preserve State Park management plan:
- Develop pedestrian crossing at Katie's Landing;
- Connect/extend trails east of Katie's Landing;
- Construct a large picnic pavilion; and
- Create a paddling trail up to 4 miles long.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, any person requiring special accommodations to participate in this hearing is asked to advise the agency at least 48 hours before the hearing by emailing Robert.Brooks@dep.state.fl.us or calling 407-884-2006. If you are hearing or speech impaired, please contact the agency using the Florida Relay Service, 800-955-8771 (TDD) or 800-955-8770 (Voice).